quarta-feira, 18 de janeiro de 2012

by Professor Joe Martin


by Professor Joe Martin


Teachers often ask me how I manage to stay so motivated as an educator. I used to find the question odd, until I realized all of the pressures, frustrations, and disappointments we face every week as teachers.

I often joke with new and beginning teachers that there are only two reasons why anyone would become a teacher, you’re either ‘called’ to teach or you’re just plain ‘crazy’ to teach.


Because my thinking was, who would choose to do this job (teach) if he or she wasn’t “called” to do it? Only a crazy person. They laugh, but I think there’s some real truth to that.


So what do I tell teachers who ask me about “my secret” to staying motivated in the classroom? I tell them to “get medicated.” Now before you panic, I don’t want you to think I’m condoning drug usage. I know we live in a country that’s already over-medicated, but what I’m referring to isn’t a prescription; it’s more of a philosophy. It’s my secret weapon I like to call “the medicine cabinet.” It’s one of the greatest teaching resources you can create for constant and never-ending motivation.


Ever since I first started teaching, I always saved every note, e-mail, card, gift, and letter I’ve ever received from a student or parent. I keep all of the letters and notes stored in a file cabinet near my desk. I call it my “medicine cabinet,” because every time I feel like I’m having a rough day (i.e., emotionally sick) – you know, one of those days when you feel like maybe teaching was a mistake – I simply reach over to open my file drawer, close my eyes, and blindly pick out a letter. After reading the letter, I feel better almost instantly. Each note or letter reminds me of my purpose for teaching and the difference I’m making in the lives of students – even if I’m not always aware of it.That medicine cabinet helps me hang in when I feel like letting go. So I challenge you to either create your own medicine cabinet or go back and read a few of those notes and letters. It’s guaranteed to put you on an emotional high for at least one full day (if not longer).So if you’re feeling a little under the emotional weather, just read a couple of student letters and call me in the morning. But I must warn you, this form of medication can become very addictive. As always, teach with passion!

Joe Martin is an award-winning national speaker, author, professor, and educational consultant. His mission is to help students, teachers, and administrators learn, lead, and live with purpose and passion. To find out more visit his web site athttp://www.NewTeacherUniversity.com.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário