terça-feira, 18 de dezembro de 2012

How to Use EVER and the difference between EVER and ALWAYS


ever = at any time
 
Ever usually means at any time and can be used to refer to past, present and future situations. The converse, meaning at no time, is neverEver is mainly used inquestions. Sometimes it is used innegative sentences (not ever) as an alternative to never. Compare the following:
 
Were you ever in the Boy Scouts? ~ No, I never was.
 
Have you ever been to the Everglades in Florida? ~ Yes, I was there once, but it was years ago.
 
Will you ever speak to her again? ~ No, I don't think I ever will.
 
If you ever need any help, just give me a ring.
 
ever : for emphasis
 
We sometimes use ever to give emotive emphasis to what we are saying as an indication that we feel very strongly about it. Thus, in speech, ever receives strong word stress:
 
If I ever catch you fiddling your expenses claims again, you'll be sacked.
 
Don't ever do that again!
 
How ever did you manage to drive home through so much snow?
 
When ever will I find time to get to the bottom of my in-tray?
 
Why ever did he marry such a domineering woman?
 
We sometimes use ever in compound expressions with hardly or if:
 
hardly ever = very rarely / seldom
 
It seldom / hardly ever / very rarely rains in Puglia in the summer.
 
seldom, if ever = almost never
 
Now that we have young children, we seldom, if ever, go out in the evening.
 
ever = always?
 
We do not often use ever to mean always, i.e. on every occasion or all the time. We have to say, e.g.:
 
I always bike to work now. It's so much healthier. (Not: I ever bike to work now. It's so much healthier.)
 
Compare the difference in meaning between these two example sentences. In the first sentence, they often agree, but not on every occasion. In the second sentence, they never agree:
 
My mother and I don't always agree about the best way to rear children.
 
My mother and I don't ever agree about the best way to rear children.
 
ever = always
 
But occasionally, ever is used to meanalways. We sometimes end letters withYours ever or Ever yours as an alternative to Yours sincerely. Here Ever yoursmeans Always yours.
 
And in these contexts too, in which we are indicating that a person has particular qualities, ever is used to mean always:
 
Let me open the door for you. ~ Ever the gentleman!
 
I always wear loose-fitting clothes like this ~ Ever the hippie!
 
In a number of compound expressions, everis used to mean always. These include as everfor ever and ever since:
 
as ever
 
As ever, they couldn't agree. They've never ever agreed on anything.
 
As ever, he was dressed in the style of Eminem.
 
I thought she might be upset by this, but she was as unperturbed as ever.
 
for ever or forever
 
We plan to live in this village now for ever. We shall never move out.
 
I intend to remain married to you forever. I shall always love you.
 
ever since
 
She's had a drink problem ever since her husband died.
 
I first met him when I was in the army and we've remained friends ever since.
 
Note that with the ever since construction the 'always' period commences when something happens. In the above examples, this is husband's death or army service meeting.
 
Finally when ever is combined with acomparative adjective, it is used to meanalways:
 
The water was rising ever higher and we were in danger of being cut off.
 
The volume of work is going to increase and I shall become ever more busy.
 
always = very often
 
As well as all the time or on every occasionalways can also mean very often when it is used with the progressive form:
 
She always going on about the cost of living and how expensive everything is.
 
I'm always losing my keys. I put them down and can never remember where I've put them.
 
Note the difference in meaning between these two examples of use:
 
I'll always lend you money when you have none. You know you can depend on me. (Always = on every occasion)
 
I'm always lending you money when you have none. Why don't you try to budget more carefully? (Always = very often)

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário